Friday, November 30, 2012

Junkie

Lately, I've noticed a pattern on my personal spending over the years.

In my teens all I bought were CDs. Probably spent most of my allowance on them. If I remember correctly, when I was in Form 4, I was given RM40 a week, which added up to RM160 a month. Part of that was spent on food for recess and ECAs, some on the really, really long phone calls I was made to pay for (yes, dulu kan zaman gayut telephone :D), and the rest on CDs. I remembered buying 2-3 CDs a month. Which meant that I spent up to RM120 each month on CDs. Did food really cost that little back then? It wasn't that long ago that I was 16. Or was it? :P

In my 20s, beginning from after I graduated from uni, I was into designer stuff. Clothes, bags, shoes... you name it, I just HAD to have it. Seriously. It got worse when I was flying. Designer stuff AND makeup. I was a regular at MAC. From the time I started flying, I have probably spent literally thousands on makeup, especially eyeshadows and lip-glosses. 

At least while I was flying I had a reason to buy all that makeup. The thing is, my makeup fetish hasn't stopped. If anything, it's probably worse now than before. But it's a good thing that I'm into the natural, nude look now, so colourful eyeshadows tempt me less. Not much less, but good enough that I am able to stop myself from buying them now. Most times, at least. I still go a bit nuts each time I walk into Sephora. 

Now that I'm in my 30s, the other thing I splurge on is skincare. I have never really had any problems with my skin, other than the occasional pimple. Mum first started me on a very basic skincare routine (cleanser, toner, moisturiser) when I was about 12. I remember it was Blackmores natural skincare range and smelled very herb-y. Once she was satisfied that I used them regularly, she graduated me to Clinique's 3-Step skincare. And after that came all the nice brands like LancĂ´me and Shiseido and Clarins.  

It certainly pays to have taken care of my skin! I have had 23 year old girls thinking I was their age! *smug smirk* 

I don't know whether to call it a downside or upside that I am utterly addicted to makeup and skincare really. Ok, I shall take it as an upside cos I think it probably does more good than bad (the only bad being I spend quite a bit on it every month). 

Since I'm such a junkie maybe I should start writing reviews on the stuff I've tried. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment